“There are no extra pieces in the universe. Everyone is here because he or she has a place to fill, and every piece must fit itself into the big jigsaw puzzle.” - Deepak Chopra

10/20/10

CHILD LABOUR

After watching the documentary, Child Slavery, which was stumbled upon after viewing another documentary concerning slavery within the cocoa industry, I found that this documentary really pulled at my heartstrings because of its content and because I have a soft spot for children. I wanted to get some background information on child slavery and what the status of this is today and upon doing so, I found this interesting fact chart:

The thing that strikes me the most, as I'm sure it will for other people is that number: 218 million, 218 million children in the world who are being exposed to this life every single day, 218 children who have not experienced childhood, 218 million children who have had their lives taken away from them, 218 million children who know nothing other than the life they are living. Along with this, 22, 000 children who die in work related accidents every year, 22, 000 children who die, 22, 000. It completely boggles my mind that things like this happen in our world, that children have to go through this for the rest of their lives.

In this documentary, it shows boys fishing in the ocean, risking their lives for their masters who have bought them. These boys dive in the ocean, get caught in the nets, are unaware of the dangers in the water and injure themselves on a regular basis. One of the boys says, "When I go underwater, it hurts my ears. They say there's an animal in the water which kills humans so I feel anxious getting into the water." This just shows how naive this children are to the water, to the danger, to the sharks or the 'animal in the water which kills humans'.

One of the websites that I found while looking for some more imforation was Free the Children, obviously extremely popular and not any new find for most people. However, this link will show some interesting facts about child labour and its issues.