“There are no extra pieces in the universe. Everyone is here because he or she has a place to fill, and every piece must fit itself into the big jigsaw puzzle.” - Deepak Chopra

10/20/10

THE FIRST

There seems to be a lot of things that I have been questioning lately - more so wondering than anything else. After I finally decided to take into action what I have been talking about for so long (my love for Africa), I was opened up into a whole new and complicated world. I never thought that learning more about Africa would be such an emotional process for me, especially because I don't see myself as being a very emotional person. Since doing more research, I have come to realize how fucked up and cruel this world actually is. I see things completely different now, appreciate my life so much more and feel more educated in things that I was too afraid to learn more about in the past.

The truth is, as I am realizing more and more, people seem to be so wrapped up in their own lifestyle; in having the latest technologies, the latest fashions, making sure that they have a good reputation and things like that to even take a second look at what is going on in the world. Now, I say this as I sit typing on my laptop and sitting in my warm, comfortable bed, even though I am aware that there are people living on the streets, people getting abused, people in the sex trade, children in slavery, and so much more that exists in society today. For awhile I hated the fact that I had a life like this, as if I didn't deserve to have such a life because of what other people in the world were struggling with. What I have learned from that is this: instead of rejecting this life, be grateful and do what you can to help those who are not as fortunate.

I never really took the time to do research and study on matters such as this and now I'm finally putting aside everything that I felt I couldn't do before and I'm giving this all I can. This is the beginning of something for me, something that I never thought I would have enough courage to try and experience. This is my journey, a journey to explore the world of Africa, to share my thoughts and feelings to whoever takes the time to read this blog and most of all, a journey of finding out who I am and what my place is in this world.